Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Trainer: No excuses when Sugar Shane Mosley declaws Monstruous Manny Pacquiao


Trainer Naazim Richardson has sounded the alarm on behalf of his huge underdog Manny Pacquiao foe, Sugar Shane Mosley.


When Mosley upsets the odds in Las Vegas on May 7, the philosophical Philadelphian said he wants the world to give the 39 year old veteran full credit.

No excuses will be taken.

"Nobody's ever walked out of a Shane Mosley fight. Nobody's ever asked for a refund from a Mosley fight. Shane is explosive all the way through the 12th round.

"The damage he can do is limitless. We have young guys (in camp at Big Bear) pushing Shane to the limit now.

"Don't say that (Pacquiao) was declawed, defanged or distracted," Richardson said. "I don't want to hear any of those things. Pacquiao is the most monstrous fighter out there today.

"I think that Manny is focused. I think his camp is totally focused. I don't think that Freddie (Roach) going to England with Amir Khan is a distraction. I think they are all 100 percent focused...

"When Shane cracks you, you will become a defensive fighter. So Pacquiao can become a defensive fighter in this fight, too," Richardson said.

Not that Richardson belittled Pacman in any way, comparing him to the great Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor.

"Like Manny, Pryor actually had an easier time moving into bigger weight classes. Like Pryor, Manny is an all action fighter."

Mosley was in quick agreement.

"Manny was a very good fighter back then, in the 130 pound division along with Barrera, Morales and even Marquez. He passed all the tests. He's one of the greats of his era.

"But I have a lot of advantages over him, I've just got to take advantage of them."
Richardson said continuing allegations about Pacman cheating with drugs are wrong.

"I think that is derogatory and disrespectful without any rock solid proof," Richardson said. "To say that about any young athlete without proof is wrong."

For his part, Mosley said he liked seeing how Antonio Margarito, who Mosley beat, tagged Pacman so often in their bout last November at Cowboys Stadium.

"Margarito landed the most punches ever on Manny Pacquiao," Mosley said. "Margarito never landed many punches on me so I know I'm fast enough to land on Manny Pacquiao."

Negative chatter, constant reminders of how the bookies so heavily favor Pacman, don't bother him, Mosley said.

"It gives me motivation to overcome what people are saying."

Again, the never knocked out Mosley brought up his victory over rock-hard Mexican Margarito.

"They said Margarito was going to kill me. People said they were worried about my health. I had about three different things going on in my life (including a divorce) but I just listened to myself. And I came out with the victory."

One wisenheimer brought up the release of the Dan Hill/Manny Pacquiao CD featuring their duet on "Sometimes When We Touch."

Richardson brushed off the innocuous query but Mosley answered it.

"Oscar had a CD out in 2000 and I won the fight so this looks good for me," Mosley said.

That must have been music to Brother Naazim's ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment